Li Chao postpones wedding to replace Sergey Karjakin at Norway Chess 2016
Malcolm Pein, chess correspondent
11 APRIL 2016 • 3:13PM
The organisers of the Altibox Norway Chess Tournament have announced that Li Chao of China will replace Sergey Karjakin who withdrew from the event last week.
Li Chao had to postpone his wedding in order to play, but his fiancé gave him permission, doubtless because this will be the highest profile tournament to which China’s second ranked player has ever been invited.
The participants, in rating order are:
- Magnus Carlsen (Norway, ranked world number 1)
- Vladimir Kramnik (Russia, ranked 2)
- Anish Giri (Holland, 4)
- Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (France, 5)
- Levon Aronian (Armenia, 7)
- Pavel Eljanov ( Ukraine, 12)
- Pentyala Harikrishna (India, 13)
- Li Chao (China, 15)
- Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria, 16)
- Nils Grandelius (Sweden, 112)
Grandelius won the qualifying tournament, a four player all play all that included Norway’s Jon Ludvig Hammer and prodigy Aryan Tari, as well as the women’s world champion Hou Yifan.
Hou Yifan’s defeat to Magnus Carlsen in a king and pawn endgame at Wijk aan Zee was recently featured here.
Full article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk